OnVideo OldNews June 2002
Old News Is Good News or Who Wants to Read Yesterday's Newspapers?
Contents. Back to OldNews Archives Contents Back to Vid News
June Highlights: Special DVD releases
On June 4, MGM will release a "Blue Velvet Special Edition", (1986) directed by David Lynch and starring Isabella Rossellini, Kyle MacLachlan, Dennis Hopper, Laura Dern, Hope Lange and Dean Stockwell, in a digital transfer supervised by Lynch. Extras: "Mysteries of Love" documentary with new interviews with MacLachlan, Rossellini, Hopper and Dern as well as rare interview footage with Lynch; "Are You a Pervert?" deleted scene featurette; collectible booklet; $24.98.
Also on June 4, Fox will release three Paul Newman films: "Hombre" (1967), with Newman, Martin Balsam, Diane Cilento, Frederic March, Richard Boone and Barbara Rush, in a plain DVD edition; "The Hustler Special Edition" (1961), directed by Robert Rossen and starring Newman, Jackie Gleason, Piper Laurie, George C. Scott, Myron McCormick and Michael Constantine, with extras such as commentary by editor Dede Allen, assistant director Ulu Grosbard, Newman, Carol Rossen (the director's daughter), film critic Richard Schickel; three featurettes; pool trick shot analysis by pool expert Mike Massey; behind-the-scenes still gallery; and "The Verdict" (1982), directed by Sidney Lumet and starring Newman, Charlotte Rampling, Jack Warden, James Mason, Milo O'Shea and Lindsay Crouse, with such extras as commentary by Lumet and Newman and a behind-the-scenes still gallery; $19.98 each.
Warner will release the great "McCabe & Mrs. Miller" (1971), directed by Robert Altman and starring Warren Beatty, Julie Christie, Rene Auberjonois, William Devane, John Schuck, Shelley Duvall and Keith Carradine, in a vanilla DVD edition, on June 4; $19.98.
More June Video News
Wellspring Media has launched The Rainer Werner Fassbinder Collection, a series of restorations of the German director's films from the 1960s and 1970s. Fassbinder was one of the most prolific directors of the German cinema, leaving behind -- he died in 1982 of a drug overdose -- 41 feature films, two shorts, 14 plays, four radio dramas and numerous essays. On June 25, Wellspring will begin to release Fassbinder's films as part of their Media Masterworks DVD collection. First up on that day: "Fox and His Friends" (1975), starring Fassbinder, Irm Hermann and Harry Baer; and "The Merchant of Four Seasons" (1972) starring Irm Hermann, Hans Hirschmuller, Hanna Schygulla, Andrea Schober and Ingrid Caven. Extras include "Life, Love and Celluloid" and "The Many Women of Fassbinder" documentaries; and commentary by director Wim Wenders. Retail price: $29.98. Future releases will include "The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant," "The Marriage of Maria Braun," "The American Soldier," "Effi Briest" and more.
From TV to Video:
The folks at Acorn Media have pulled out all the stops in releasing to DVD for the first time PBS' award-winning series "Brideshead Revisited" (starring Jeremy Irons, Anthony Andrews, Diana Quick, Laurence Olivier, Claire Bloom and John Gielgud) on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of its U.S. premiere. The three-disc DVD Collector's edition contains all 11 hours of the show -- digitally remastered -- with a Brideshead Revisited Companion Guide that includes an introduction by director Charles Sturridge, episode descriptions, an Evelyn Waugh biography, and filming location details. Other DVD extras include production notes and location photos, cast and crew biographies, and facts and photos from Castle Howard, the real Brideshead. The DVD sells for $79.95; a five volume VHS box set (digitally remastered) will sell for $99.95; due June 25.
The 'B' Side: Other June Releases
- "Parental Guidance" is a comedy that takes a look at the lives of a South Central Los Angeles family. Sean, a struggling rapper, doesn't want to invite his uptown girlfriend over for Christmas because he's embarrassed by his family, which makes the "Klumps" look like "Little House on the Prairie," what with a foul-mouthed sister who has four kids and one more on the way and a pair of loser brothers. What's a hip young guy to do? Stars Maia Campbell, Casey Lee, Stacie Jae Johnson and Dwayne L. Barnes. York Urban, 2002, NR priced for rental, DVD day and date.
- "Inferno" is a firefighting melodrama about a female expert firejumper who helps put out the raging fire that threatens her home town. She suspects arson and fears what could happen if a larger fire was set. Unfortunately, she finds out: A second blaze erupts in the mountains and rips through the forest on a course toward town. And this inferno is blamed on her daughter and boyfriend. Now the firefighter must put out the blaze as well as clear her daughter's name. Stars Janet Gunn, Jeff Fahey and Dean Stockwell. Monarch Home Video, 2002, NR, priced for rental, DVD day and date.
- "The Void" is a sci-fier about a super collider developed at the secret Filadyne institute. When it's accidentally activated it sets off a chain reaction, creating an expanding black hole that threatens to devour the Earth. Stars Adrian Paul, Amanda Tapping, Malcolm McDowell. Lions Gate, 2001, R, priced for rental, DVD day and date.
- In "Like a Fish Out of Water," a seductive femme fatale and two con men -- one cool as ice, the other who enjoys icing his victims -- enlist a mild-mannered dork in their mission to steal a rare fish. They plan to sell it back to its grieving owner for an enormous ransom. But even a dumb fish could tell you that crime doesn't pay. Or does it? In French with English subtitles. Stars Tcheky Karyo, Monica Bellucci, Dominique Pinon and Michel Muller. Vanguard Cinema, 1999, NR, priced for rental, DVD day and date.
- "Federal Protection" takes a quirky look at the world of the witness protection program, in the form of lifetime gangster Frank Carbone, who turned state's evidence when the mob put out a hit on him. But a new look and fake ID can't hide the fact that he's someone special, especially when beautiful women come around. There's gun battles, blackmail, and double-crosses galore as the mob tracks him down. Stars Armand Assante, Angela Featherstone, and Dina Meyer. Lions Gate, 2002, R, priced for rental, DVD day and date.
- "The Job" is an urban romantic comedy about a successful attorney whose wife begins to lose focus on their marriage as she climbs her own corporate ladder. The lawyer's best friend convinces him to substitute another woman for his wife -- just when she comes back to her senses. Oops. This love triangle spices things up and comes to an unexpected ending. Stars David Tucker Jr., Ebony Arrington, Ced Delaney and Tammi Mac. York Urban, 2002, NR, priced for rental, DVD day and date.
- "American Psycho 2"> is a sequel to the original in name only. The evil legacy of serial woman-killer Patrick Bateman lives on in the form of Rachael Newman, the only victim who managed to escape his grasp. Now in college, Rachael has developed an obsession with serial killers, and finds a new way to further her academic career -- she gets rid of anyone who stands in her way. Stars Mila Kunis, William Shatner and Geraint Wyn Davies. Lions Gate, 2001, R, priced for rental, DVD day and date.
- In "Soundman," a Hollywood sound recordist loses his grip on reality when his unstable working conditions and the pressures of long work hours become too much to handle. Lacking strong social skills, the soundman begins to act out and do whatever he feels is right, no matter the consequence and how it might endanger others. Set against the background of Tinseltown, where the boundary between imagination and reality is already pretty blurred. Stars William Forsythe, Nick Stahl and Wes Studi. Vanguard Cinema, 2001, R, priced for rental, DVD day and date.
- In "Speedway Junkie," teen runaway Johnny sets out to find fame and glory on the professional racetracks of North Carolina, only to find himself holding on for the ride of his life. Along the way, Johnny meets a collection of Las Vegas scam artists and casualties, like fallen angel Veronica, veteran street hustler Steven, Southern charmer Wilma and fellow street hustler Donna, each one just trying to survive. Johnny quickly learns that what it takes to survive is more than he ever bargained for. Stars Daryl Hannah, Jesse Bradford, Jonathan Taylor Thomas, Tiffani-Amber Thiessen and Patsy Kensit. Pioneer Entertainment, 1999, NR, priced for rental, DVD day and date.
- "Hard Cash" is a typical action-thriller crime-caper that has Christian Slater as the ringleader of a gang that holds up a betting parlor. Unfortunately, the money disappears and Slater has to figure out who double-crossed him before the cops and the mob close in. Plenty of high-speed chases and twists and turns. Stars Christian Slater, Val Kilmer, Daryl Hannah, Bookeem Woodbine and Verne Trover. Artisan, 2002, NR, priced for rental, DVD day and date.
Jump to News Archive ("old news is good news").
- Feedback: Have questions? Need help? Comments?
| Home | Contents/Site Map | Resources | VidNews | KidVid | Calendar | Sell-Through | Reviews |
© 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 OnVideo. All rights reserved
May 25, 2001